So here’s the abbreviated version of recommendations for the Chairperson of the Board, Committee, or Task Force:
- Mind the Clock – The shorter the better.
- Maintain Respect – It’s the best way to receive respect.
- Discipline Staff Work – It’s what you do between meetings.
- Value Constructive Input – Keeping it positive
- Guard Against Biases – Balance is helpful.
- Facts are important – Best decisions are based upon relevant facts.
- Be a Leader – Reveal your leadership.
- Prepare Your Principals – Respect your elders.
- Homework – Be prepared.
These may not be all there is to being the Chair, but if you have these nine in order, you’ll be well on your way.