Leadership transition happens in many places every day. Are there matters that concern us we should look out for? I think so. Consider these:
- Change is coming. Needed or not, new leadership brings change simply because the driving force of leadership is different. This is not inherently bad and may be a relief in the days ahead.
- With new leadership, everyone has an opportunity to reinvent oneself. Your slate is comparatively clean. The new leader doesn’t have the recent memories, good or bad.
- New possibilities are present. Practices which were law with the last leader may not be so with the new.
- Loyalty to the past can be overvalued. Understand that it is a new day and that it is time for a new loyalty.
- Improvements are possible. With fresh leadership comes new approaches that can open new doors of imagination for the good of the cause.
These five thoughts are a place to start in your own mind in dealing with new leadership. Notice that they are all positive. That’s the only way to approach the subject. I wish you well.