So here’s the “nutshell” version of Recommendations for Effective Board Members:
- “Yes” person – Resist being a bobble head.
- “No” Person – The default power position of most members.
- Staff Work – “Be prepared.”
- Role Defined Contribution – Have inclusive purpose.
- Loose Lips – Confidentiality is expected.
- Attendance – Come to the meetings.
- Remain in the Room – Stay focused on the meeting.
- Reserve Bias – Save your personal campaign for a better audience.
Being a Board Member should be a rewarding experience. Some consider it a chore. Consider these recommendations to make your experience worthwhile and effective.